Album Release

Monday, January 11, 2010

Sunday


Today was another good day. It's been quite a while since I took a Sunday completely off (I was told recently that "I have no life" and therefore decided to shape up), and today was a day that I forced myself not to look at my to-do list for work. Crazy! And I feel so refreshed. Harp practice. Clean sheets. Full fridge. Siesta. Phone calls to friends. I liked today.

On the school-front: something is in the air here... I feel like my students (especially the junior highers) are excited about harp. Their parents are excited that they are excited. I'm sitting back, watching people be excited.

There was a booster club meeting last Friday to discuss summer harp camps. It was a packed house, and there are many students that would like to raise the money to go on a harp retreat this year, both in-State and out-of-State. Sweet! They are gung-ho-ly taking responsibility for their playing and interest in harp.

Here is a pic from the OHS football banquet last Friday. I'm still reminded that I'm in West Texas when I see an event like this. No complaints! Just enjoying the observations.

And on the personal practice front: I'm working on "Otoño Porteño" by Astor Piazzolla, arranged by Argentine harpist Maria Luisa Rayan-Forero. I've never met Maria Luisa, but I feel like I walk through her head as I play through her transcription. Her arrangement is delightful. And Piazzolla on the harp... yes! Fan. Sometimes I wish I was a violinist or accordionist, but whatever. I'll take what I can get. My hope is that I can pull off the solo so that it's as in-your-face as it is with multiple instruments. My fingers are crossed, as it were. ... I can't imagine how amazing it would have been to play with this guy. Or heard him live. Intense emotion and energy. Mm- love it.

No comments: